THE CROSS OF JESUS
GALATIANS CHAPTER 3
VERSE, 12, 13, 14
12) However, the Law is not of faith; on the contrary. “HE WHO PRACTICES THEM SHALL LIVE BY THEM.”
13) Christ redeemed us from the curse of the Law, having become a curse for us for it is written, “CURSED IS EVERYONE WHO HANGS ON A TREE”
14) In order that in Christ Jesus the blessing of Abraham might come to the gentiles, so that we would receive the promise of the Spirit through faith.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 10
VERSE, 37, 38, 39
37) He who loves father or mother more than me is not worthy of me; and he who loves son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.
38) And he who does not take his cross and follow after me is not worthy of me.
39) “He who has found his life will lose it, and he who has lost his life for my sake will find it.
MARK CHAPTER 10
VERSE, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22
17) As he was setting out on a journey, a man ran up to him and knelt before him, and asked him. Good Teacher, what shall I do to inherit eternal life?
18) And Jesus said to him. ‘Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone.
19) You know the commandments.
DO NOT MURDER, DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY, DO NOT STEAL, DO NOT BEAR FALSE WITNESS, DO NOT DEFRAUD, HONOR YOUR FATHER AND MOTHER,’’’
20) And he said to him. “Teacher, I have kept all these things from my youth up.”
21) Looking at him, Jesus felt a love for him and said to him, one thing you lack: go and sell all you possess and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven; and come, follow me.
22) But at these words he was saddened, and he went away grieving, for he was one who owned much property.
1 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 1
VERSE, 17, 18
17) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel, not in cleverness of speech, so that the cross of Christ would not be made void.
18) For the word of the cross is foolishness to those who are perishing, but to us who are being saved it is the power of God.
LUKE CHAPTER 9
VERSE, 22, 23, 24
22) Saying. The son of man must suffer many things and be rejected by the elders and chief priest and scribes, and be killed and be raised up on the third day.
23) And he was saying to them all. If anyone wishes to come after me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross daily and follow me.
24) For whoever wishes to save his life will lose it, but whoever loses his life for my sake, he is the one who will saved it.
ACTS CHAPTER 17
VERSE, 23, 24, 25, 26
23) For while I was passing through and examining the objects of your worship, I also found an altar with this inscription, TO UNKNOWN GOD. Therefore what you worship in ignorance, this I proclaim to you.
24) The God who made the world and all things in it, since He is Lord of heaven and earth, does not dwell in temples made with hands;
25) Nor is he served by human hands, as though he needed anything, since he himself gives to all people life and breath and all things.
26) And he made from one man every nation of mankind to live on all the face of the earth, having determined their appointed times and the boundaries of their habitation.
LUKE CHAPTER 14
VERSE, 25, 26, 27
25) Now large crowds were going along with him: and he turned and said to them.
26) If anyone comes to me, and does not hate his own father and mother and wife and children and brothers and sisters, yes, and even his own life, he cannot be my disciple.
27) “Whoever does not carry his own cross and come after me cannot be my disciple.
JOB CHAPTER 3
VERSE, 7, 8, 9
7) “Behold, let that night be barren: Let no joyful shout enter it.
8) “Let those curse it who curse the day. Who are prepared to rouse Leviathan?
9) “Let the stars of its twilight be darkened: Let it wait for light but have none. And let it not see the breaking dawn;
GENESIS CHAPTER 40
VERSE, 16, 17, 18, 19
16) When the chief baker saw that he had interpreted favorably, he said to Joseph. “I also saw in my dream, and behold, there were three baskets of white bread on my head:
17) And in the top basked there were some of all sorts of baked food for Pharaoh, and the birds were eating them out of the basket on my head.”
18) Then Joseph answered and said. This is its interpretation: the three baskets are three days;
19) Within three more days Pharaoh will lift up your head from you and will hang you on a tree, and the birds will eat your flesh off you.
NUMBERS CHAPTER 21
VERSE, 8, 9
8) Then the LORD said to Moses, “Make a fiery serpent, and set it on a standard: and it shall come about, that everyone who is bitten, when he looks at it, he will live.”
9) And Moses made a bronze serpent and set it on the standard: and it came about, that if a serpent bit any man, when he looked to the bronze serpent, he lived.
ESTHER CHAPTER 7
VERSE, 9, 10
9) Then Harbonah, one of the eunuchs who were before the king said, “Behold indeed, the gallows standing at Haman’s house fifty cubits high, which Haman made for Mordecai who spoke good on behalf of the king!”And the king said, “Hang him on it.”
10) So they hanged Haman on the gallows which he had prepared for Mordecai, and the king’s anger subsided.
EZRA CHAPTER 6
VERSE, 11, 12
11) “And I issued a decree that any man who violates this edict, a timber shall be drown from his house and he shall be impaled on it and his house shall be made a refuse heap on account of this.
12) “May the God who has caused his name to dwell there overthrow any king or people who attempts to change it, so as to destroy this house of God in Jerusalem. I. Darius have issued this decree; let it be carried out with all diligence!”
FAITH AND DEEDS
ROMANS CHAPTER 4
VERSE, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
2) If, in fact, Abraham was justified by works, he had something to boast about—but not before God.
3) What does Scripture say? “Abraham believed God, and it was credited to him as righteousness.”
4) Now to the one who works, wages are not credited as a gift but as an obligation.
5) However, to the one who does not work but trusts God who justifies the ungodly, their faith is credited as righteousness.
6) David says the same thing when he speaks of the blessedness of the one to whom God credits righteousness apart from works:
7) “Blessed are those whose transgressions are forgiven, whose sins are covered.
8) Blessed is the one whose sin the Lord will never count against them.”
HEBREWS CHAPTER 11
VERSE, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
1) Now faith is confidence in what we hope for and assurance about what we do not see.
2) This is what the ancients were commended for.
3) By faith we understand that the universe was formed at God’s command, so that what is seen was not made out of what was visible.
4) By faith Abel brought God a better offering than Cain did. By faith he was commended as righteous, when God spoke well of his offering. And by faith Abel still speaks, even though he is dead.
5) By faith Enoch was taken from his life, so that he did not experience death: “He could not be found, because God had taken him away.” For before he was taken, he was commended as one who pleased God.
6) And without faith it is impossible to please God, because anyone who comes to him must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who earnestly seek him.
MARK CHAPTER 16
VERSE, 15, 16
15) He said to them, “Go into all the world and preach the gospel to all creation.
16) Whoever believes and is baptized will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned.
LUKE CHAPTER 1
VERSE, 18, 19, 20
18) Zechariah asked the angel. “How can I be sure of this? I am an old man and my wife is well along in years.”
19) The angel said to him, “I am Gabriel. I stand in the presence of God, and I have been sent to speak to you and to tell you this good news.
20) And now you will be silent and not able to speak until the day this happens, because you did not believe my words, which will come true at their appointed time.”
LUKE CHAPTER 1
VERSE, 45, 46, 47
45) Blessed is she who has believed that the Lord would fulfill his promises to her!
46) And Mary said: “My soul glorifies the Lord
47) And my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
MATTHEW CHAPTER 21
VERSE, 21, 22
21) Jesus replied, “Truly I tell you, if you have faith and do not doubt, not only can you do what was done to the fig tree, but also you can say to this mountain, “Go through yourself into the sea, and it will be done.
22) If you believe, you will receive whatever you ask for in prayer.”
MATTHEW CHAPTER 9
VERSE, 27, 28, 29
27) As Jesus went on from there, two blind men followed him, calling out, “Have mercy on us, Son of David!”
28) When he had gone indoors, the blind men came to him, and he asked them, “Do you believe that I am able to do this? “Yes Lord,” they replied.
29) Then he touched their eyes and said, “According to your faith let it be done to you”;
MATTHEW CHAPTER 8
13) Then Jesus said to the centurion, “Go! Let it be done just as you believed it would.” And his servant was healed at that moment.
GALATIANS CHAPTER 5
VERSE, 22, 23, 24, 25
22) But the fruit of the Spirit is love, Joy, peace, Forbearance, kindness, Goodness, faithfulness,
23) Gentleness and Self-control. Against such things there is no law.
24) Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the flesh with its passions and desires.
25) Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 17
VERSE, 19, 20, 21
19) Then the disciples came and private and asked, “Why couldn’t we drive it out?
20) He replied, “Because you have so little faith. Truly I tell you, if you have faith as small as a mustard seed, you can say to this mountain, Move from here to there, and it will move. Nothing will be impossible for you.”
21) However, this kind goes not out but by prayer and fasting.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 18
VERSE, 5, 6
5) And whoever welcomes one such child in my name welcomes me.
6) “If anyone causes one of these little ones—those who believe in me—to stumble, it would be better for them to have a large millstone hung around their neck and to be drowned in the depths of the sea.
JOHN CHAPTER 6
29) Jesus answered, “The work of God is this: to believe in the one he has sent.”
JOHN CHAPTER 8
VERSE, 23, 24
23) But he continued, “You are from below; I am from above. You are of this world; I am not of this world.
24) I told you that you would die in your sins; if you do not believe that I am he, you will indeed die in your sins.”
JAMES CHAPTER 2
VERSE, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
14) What good is it, my brothers and sisters, if someone claims to have faith but has no deeds? Can such faith save them?
15) Suppose a brother or a sister is without clothes and daily food.
16) If one of you says to them, “go in peace; keep warm and well fed,” but does nothing about their physical needs, what good is it?
17) In the same way, faith by itself, if it is not accompanied by action, is dead.
18) But someone will say, “You have faith; I have deeds.”Show me your faith without deeds, and I will show you my faith by my deeds.
ROMANS CHAPTER 2
VERSE, 6, 7, 8, 9
6) God “Will repay each person according to what they have done.”
7) To those who by persistence in doing good seek glory, honor and immortality, he will give eternal life.
8) But for those who are self-seeking and who reject the truth and follow evil, there will be wrath and anger.
9) There will be trouble and distress for every human being who does evil: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile;
LUKE CHAPTER 17
VERSE, 17, 18, 19
17) Jesus asked, “Were not all ten cleansed? Where are the other nine?
18) Has no one returned to give praise to God except this foreigner?
19) Then he said to him, “Rise and go; your faith has made you well.”
EPHESIANS CHAPTER 3
VERSE, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19
14) For this reason I kneel before the Father,
15) From whom every family in heaven and on earth derives its name.
16) I pray that out of his glorious riches he may strengthen you with power through his Spirit in your inner being
17) So that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith. And I pray that you, being rooted and established in love,
18) May have power, together with all the Lord’s holy people, to grasp how wide and long and high and deep is the love of Christ,
19) And to know this love that surpasses knowledge—that you may be filled to the measure of all the fullness of God.
JOHN CHAPTER 14
VERSE, 8, 9, 10, 11
8) Philip said, “Lord, show us the Father and that will be enough for us.”
9) Jesus answered: “Don’t you know me, Philip, even after I have been among you such a long time? Anyone who has seen me has seen the father. How can you say, Show us the Father?
10) Don’t you believe that I am in the Father, and that the Father is in me? The words I say to you I do not speak on my own authority. Rather, it is the Father, living in me, who is doing his work.
11) Believe me when I say that I am in the Father and the Father is in me; or at least believe on the evidence of the works themselves.