THE WORLD AND THE CHRIST
JOHN CHAPTER 3
VERSE, 16, 17, 18, 19
16) For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.
17) For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.
18) Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe stands condemned already because they have not believed in the name of God’s one and only Son.
19) This is the verdict: Light has come into the world, but people loved darkness instead of light because their deeds were evil.
JOHN CHAPTER 1
VERSE, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
9) The true light that gives light to everyone was coming into the world.
10) He was in the world, and though the world made through him, the world did not recognize him.
11) He came to that which was his own, but his own did not receive him.
12) Yet to all who did receive him, to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.
13) Children born not of natural descent, nor of human decision or a husband’s will, but born of God.
1 JOHN CHAPTER 5
VERSE, 18, 19, 2O
18) We know that anyone born of God does not continue to sin; the One who was born of God keeps them safe, and the evil one cannot harm them.
19) We know that we are children of God, and that the whole world is under the control of the evil one.
20) We know also that the Son of God has come and has given us understanding, so that we may know him who is true. And we are in him who is true by being in his Son Jesus Christ. He is the true God and eternal life.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 5
VERSE, 13, 14, 15, 16
13) “You are the salt of the earth. But if the salt loses its saltiness, how can it be made salty again? It is no longer good for anything, except to be thrown out and trampled underfoot.
14) “You are the light of the world. A town build on a hill cannot be hidden.
15) Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.
16) In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.
1 JOHN CHAPTER 2
VERSE, 15, 16, 17
15) Do not love the world or anything in the world. If anyone loves the world, love for the Father is not in them.
16) For everything in the world—the lust of the flesh, the lust of the eyes, and the pride of life—comes not from the Father but from the world.
17) The world and its desires pass away, but whoever does the will of God lives forever.
MARK CHAPTER 8
VERSE, 35, 36
35) For whoever wants to save their life will lose it, but whoever loses their life for me and for the gospel will save it.
36) What good is it for someone to gain the whole world, yet forfeit their soul?
MATTHEW CHAPTER 4
VERSE, 8, 9, 10
8) Again, the devil took him to a very high mountain and showed him all the kingdoms of the world and their splendor.
9) “All this I will give you, “he said “If you will bow down and worship me.”
10) Jesus said to him. “Away from me. Satan! For it is written; worship the LORD your GOD, and serve him only.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 13
VERSE, 37, 38, 39, 40, 41, 42, 43
37) He answered. “The one who sowed the good seed is the Son of Man.
38) The field is the world, and the good seed stands for the people of the kingdom. The weeds are the people of the evil one.
39) And the enemy who sows them is the devil. The harvest is the end of the age, and the harvesters are angels.
40) As the weeds are pulled up and burned in the fire, so it will be at the end of the age.
41) The Son of Man will send out his angels, and they will weed out of his kingdom everything that causes sin and all who do evil.
42) They will throw them into the blazing furnace, where there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth.
43) Then the righteous will shine like the sun in the kingdom of the Father. Whoever has ears, let them hear?
JOHN CHAPTER 17
VERSE, 22, 23
22) I have given them the glory that you gave me, that they may be one as we are one.
23) I in them and you in me—so that they may be brought to complete unity. Then the world will know that you sent me and have loved them even as you have loved me.
JOHN CHAPTER 15
VERSE, 18, 19
18) If the world hates you, keep in mind that it hated me first.
19) If you belonged to the world, it would love you as its own. As it is, you do not belong to the world, but I have chosen you out of the world. That is why the world hates you.
JOHN CHAPTER 16
VERSE, 32, 33
32) A time is coming and in fact has come when you will be scattered, each to your own home. You will leave me all alone. Yet I am not alone, for my Father is with me.
33) I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.
1 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 4
VERSE, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
9) For it seems to me that God has put us apostles on display at the end of the procession, like those condemned to die in the arena. We have been made a spectacle to the whole universe, to angels as well as to human beings.
10) We are fools for Christ, but you are so wise in Christ! We are weak, but you are strong! You are honored, we are dishonored!
11) To this very hour we go hungry and thirsty, we are in rags, we are brutally treated, and we are homeless.
12) We work hard with our own hands. When we are cursed, we bless; when we are persecuted, we endure it;
13) When we are slandered, we answer kindly. We have become the scum of the earth, the garbage of the world—right up to this moment.
JOHN CHAPTER 14
VERSE, 17, 18, 19
17) The Spirit of truth. The world cannot accept him, because it neither sees him nor knows him. But you know him, for he lives with you and will be in you.
18) I will not leave you as orphans; I will come to you.
19) Before long, the world will not see me anymore, but you will see me. Because I live, you also will live.
JOHN CHAPTER 18
VERSE, 36, 37
36) Jesus said, “My Kingdom is not of this world. If it were, my servants would fight to prevent my arrest by the Jewish leaders. But now my Kingdom is from another place.”
37) “You are a King, then! said Pilate.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 18
VERSE, 7, 8
7) Woe to the world because of the things that cause people to stumble! Such things must come, but woe to the person through whom they come!
8) If your hand or your foot causes you to stumble, cut it off and throw it away. It is better for you to enter life maimed or crippled than to have two hands or two feet and be thrown into eternal fire.
2 CORINTHIANS CHAPTER 4
VERSE, 3, 4, 5
3) And even if our gospel is veiled, it is veiled to those who are perishing.
4) The god of this age has blinded the minds of unbelievers, so that they cannot see the light of the gospel that displays the glory of Christ, who is the image of God.
5) For what we preach is not ourselves, but Jesus Christ as LORD, and ourselves as your servants for Jesus sake.
ACTS CHAPTER 19
VERSE, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18
13) Some Jews who went around driving out evil spirits tried to invoke the name of the Lord Jesus over those who were demon-possessed. They would say, In the name of the Jesus whom Paul preaches, I command you to come out.
14) Seven sons of Sceva, a Jewish chief priest, were doing this.
15) One day the evil spirit answered them, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know about, but who are you?
16) Then the man who had the evil spirit jumped on them and overpowered them all. He gave them such a beating that they ran out of the house naked and bleeding.
17) When this became known to the Jews and Greeks living in Ephesus, they were all seized with fear, and the name of the Lord Jesus was held in high honor.
18) Many of those who believed now came and openly confessed what they had done.
JOSHUA CHAPTER 7
VERSE, 19, 20, 21, 22
19) Then Joshua said to Achan, “My son, give glory to the Lord, the God of Israel, and honor him. Tell me what you have done; do not hide it from me.”
20) Achan replied, “It is true! I have sinned against the Lord, the God of Israel. This is what I have done:
21) When I saw in the plunder a beautiful robe from Babylonia, two hundred shekels of silver and a bar of gold weighing fifty shekels, I coveted them and took them. They are hidden in the ground inside my tent, with the silver underneath.”
22) So Joshua sent messengers, and they ran to the tent, and there it was, hidden in his tent, with the silver underneath.
DANIEL CHAPTER 9
VERSE, 2, 3, 4
2) In the first year of his reign, I, Daniel, understood from the Scriptures, according to the word of the Lord given to Jeremiah the prophet that the desolation of Jerusalem would last seventy years.
3) So I turned to the Lord God and pleased with him in prayer and petition, in fasting, and in sackcloth and ashes.
4) I prayed to the Lord my God and confessed: “Lord the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments.
PSALMS CHAPTER 32
5) Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.”And you forgave the guilt of my sin.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 3
VERSE, 4, 5, 6
4) John’s clothes were made of camel’s hair, and he had a leather belt around his waist. His food was locusts and wild honey.
5) People went out to him from Jerusalem and all Judea and the whole region of the Jordan.
6) Confessing their sins, they were baptized by him in the Jordan River.
NEHEMIAH CHAPTER 9
VERSE, 1, 2, 3
1) On the twenty-fourth day of the same month, the Israelites gathered together, fasting and wearing sackcloth and putting dust on their heads.
2) Those of Israelite descent had separated themselves from all foreigners. They stood in their places and confessed their sins and the sins of their ancestors.
3) They stood where they were and read from the book of the Law of the Lord their God for a quarter of the day, and spent another quarter in confession and in worshiping the Lord their God.
MATTHEW CHAPTER 18
VERSE, 15, 16, 17, 18
15) “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over.
16) But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.
17) If they still refuse to listen, tell it to the church; and if they refuse to listen even to the church, treat them as you would a pagan or a tax collector.
18) “Truly I tell you, whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.
JAMES CHAPTER 5
16) Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective.
NEHEMIAH CHAPTER 1
VERSE, 4, 5, 6, 7
4) When I heard these things, I sat down and wept. For some days I mourned and fasted and prayed before the God of heaven.
5) Then I said: “Lord, the God of heaven, the great and awesome God, who keeps his covenant of love with those who love him and keep his commandments.
6) Let your ear be attentive and your eyes open to hear the prayer your servant is praying before you day and night for your servants, the people of Israel. I confess the sins we Israelites, including myself and my father’s family, have committed against you.
PSALMS CHAPTER 49
VERSE, 6, 7, 8, 9
6) Those who trust in their wealth and boast of their great riches?
7) No one can redeem the life of another or give to God a ransom for them
8) The ransom for a life is costly, no payment is ever enough
9) So that they should live on forever and not see decay.
MICAN CHAPTER 7
VERSE, 5, 6, 7
5) Do not trust a neighbor; put no confidence in a friend. Even with the woman who lies in your embrace guard the words of your lips.
6) For a son dishonors his father, a daughter rises up against her mother, a daughter-in-law against her mother-in-law—a man’s enemies are the members of his own household.
7) But as for me, I watch in hope for the Lord, I wait for God my Savior; my God will hear me.
2 KINGS CHAPTER 5
VERSE, 25, 26, 27
25) When he went in and stood before his master, Elisha asked him, “Where have you been, Gehazi? “Your servant didn’t go anywhere, Gehazi answered.
26) But Elisha said to him, “Was not my spirit with you when the man got down from his chariot to meet you? Is this the time to take money or to accept clothes—or olive groves and vineyards, or flocks and herds, or male and female slaves?
27) Naaman’s leprosy will cling to you and to your descendants forever.” Then Gehazi went from Elisha’s presence and his skin was leprous—it had become as white as snow.